You'll wish that summer
could always
be here!


Do ordinary things with extraordinary love.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday Tales

A weekly peek at what we're reading.
Post your peek in the comments and share your favorite books!


Anne is reading
Peace and Plenty by Sarah Ban Breathnach

When discouragement comes, I comfort myself by thinking of the long line of heroic women behind me -- not only those in my family, but every woman settler, explorer, adventurer, and homemaker who tamed wild land and wild times around the world.  I particularly love to meditate on the first band of Pilgrim women.  There were eighteen women on the Mayflower, and although none of them died during the crossing from England to Massachusetts, by the time of the first "Thanks Giving" meal, a year later in 1621, only four women had survived the brutal winter, spring sowing, and autumn harvest.  Four very tired women who needed to take care of fifty men and children daily. . . . if they didn't drop dead with their hand to the plow or wither away in a nighttime sweat from a succession of diseases contracted on the voyage, they took it as a sign that God meant for them to go on.


Holly is reading
Ginnie's Babysitting Business by Catherine Woolley


But the idea was growing.  "Oh, Mother, please let me tell people I can bring their children here!  Just afternoons.  It won't be very often.  And I'll really be the baby-sitter, honest I will.  You won't have to do anything!  Only their mothers'll feel all right about it if they know you're home."

Mother sighed deeply and went back to work on the soft apple pulp.  "I warn you I am not keen about this."




Lily is reading
Fluffy's Valentine's Day by Kate McMullan


The kids cut pictures out of magazines.
They pasted things on their boxes.
They sprinkled on glitter.
Nobody stopped by to see Fluffy all morning.
I don't think I like Valentine's Day, thought Fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment